Welcome to the Education (ED) Special Interest Group (SIG)
As more schools, students and teachers are moving on-line in the Pacific, the role of the Internet in education is becoming increasingly important.
Formed in Feb 2007, this special interest group addresses the emerging needs of learners, educators, educational technologists and policy-makers in the region.
The ED SIG is a Special Interest Group under PICISOC with the proposed mission of;
- Foster learning through the use of information communication technologies (ICTs).
- The first aim of the group is to encourage and share developments in internet-related education & training projects and programmes in the Pacific region. The group will prepare an annual ‘snapshot’ of the themes, challenges and achievements of education-related internet initiatives, to be presented at PICISOC’s annual conference and posted online. This ‘snapshot’ also draws from the work of the Univ. of the South Pacific’s “Pacific eLearning Observatory”.
- A second aim is to promote the role of Internet connectivity and the PC for the benefit of education and learning in rural and remote communities.
- A third aim is to promote the implementation of the Digital Strategy of the Pacific Plan in the education sector throughout the region.
- Assist Pacific Island Countries (PICs) in its ambition to create knowledge based society.
The founding members:
Robert Whelan (Chair)
- Create awareness on e-learning.
- Provide technical, pedagogical and general advice on e-learning.
- Encourage ‘community of practice’ and virtual networks to share good practices in education and e-learning.
- Promote and engage with Open Educational Resources (OERs): Use, adapt and Create OERs for learners and educators in PICs.
- Initiate e-learning projects e.g. LMS implementation by Ministries of education in each PIC.
JOIN THE MOVEMENT
To join the ED SIG, you must first join PICISOC. You can join PICISOC by following the link http://www.picisoc.org/join-picisoc/
To become a member of the ED SIG if you wish, please join our mailing list by sending a blank email to <under construction> . After confirmation, participate in our mail list by sending an email to <under construction>
Dr. Rohitash Chandra <firstname.lastname@example.org> Fiji
Dr. Sam Goundar <email@example.com> Fiji
Edwin Liava’a <firstname.lastname@example.org> Fiji
Ian Thomson <email@example.com> Fiji
Picky Claudy Airi <firstname.lastname@example.org> Papua New Guinea
Shikha Raturi <email@example.com> Fiji